Raw, Delicious Caramelized Onions Recipe
How to caramelize red onions without cooking them in a skillet is easy and healthier.
Caramelized onions can be used in a variety of ways – eat as is, sprinkle over a salad, include in omelets, wraps, and sandwiches, or as a pizza topping.
Caramelized Onions Recipe
Equipment Needed: Food Processor (or do by hand)
Yield: 4 cups
- 2 pounds red onions, sliced with 2mm slicing blade
- 1/3 cup date paste – see date paste recipe
- 1/3 cup tamari (to avoid gluten, use wheat-free tamari / you could also use coconut aminos or half coconut aminos and half wheat-free tamari)
- 1/8 teaspoon white pepper
1. Place date paste, tamari, and white pepper in a small bowl and mix with spoon.
2. Slice onions using a food processor, equipped with slicing blade, then place onions in large bowl.
3. Using a paper towel or clean cloth, I gently squeeze onions to remove any juice.
4. Pour liquid mixture over onions and and massage with hands (recommended – wear gloves).
5. Spread evenly on dehydrator trays covered with teflex sheets.
6. Dehydrate at 125 degrees Fahrenheit for 1-2 hours.
7. Transfer onions onto a mesh sheet dehydrator tray, reduce temperature to 110 degrees and continue until onions are moist and flexible to the touch. This process may take 10-12 hours. Around the 6 hour point, remove onions from teflex sheet and place on mesh tray for duration. If you prefer crispier texture, dehydrate longer.
8. Store in seal container. I prefer storing them in the refrigerator.
- Be creative and experiment with different seasonings – Italian, Mexican, or cheese them up with nutritional yeast. Substitute tamari with coconut aminos.
Conventional Caramelized Onions Recipe – butter, sugar and cooked at high temps (unhealthy version)
If you’ve enjoyed this post, How to Caramelize Red Onions, leave a comment below:
Certified Health Consultant
LifeWave Independent Distributor
David spent 27 years in the mortgage/real estate business, and currently holds a financial life license, but for over 31 years one of his passions has been natural health and prevention of disease. For 31 years he has lived a natural food lifestyle. He is an author, and certified as a health and transformational coach, and plant-based chef. Today his main focus is to bring hope into a person’s life through various resources, proven to reverse aging, elevate health, maximize thought life and emotions, and live with unparalleled, fully persuaded faith!
“It breaks my heart to see people suffering, or aging faster and living in pain and limitation. Or to see someone who has fallen into the rut of living, unable to reach their full potential. God has designed us to live amazing lives, and sometimes it just helps to find someone who will come along side and provide the hope and direction needed at that moment.”
To learn more about David, go to Image What Could Be.
Information and material found on this website is for informational purposes only, and not intended to provide medical advice, nor should it be construed as such. The information is NOT intended as a substitute for the advice provided by your physician or other healthcare professional, or any information contained on or in any product label or packaging. Do not use the information provided on this site for diagnosing or treating a health problem or disease, or prescribing medication or other treatment. All content, including text, graphics, images and information available on this site is for general informational, entertainment and educational purposes only. Products, or information, are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure or prevent any disease. The content is not intended to be a substitute for professional diagnosis or treatment. Always speak with your physician or other healthcare professional before taking any medication or nutritional, herbal or homeopathic supplement, beginning any diet program or exercise program, or using any treatment for a health problem. If you have or suspect that you have a medical problem, contact your health care provider promptly. Do not disregard professional medical advice or delay in seeking professional advice because of something you have read on this website. The author of this site is not responsible for any adverse effects that may occur from the application of the information on this site and encourages you to make your own healthcare decisions, based on your own research and in partnership with a qualified healthcare professional.